Friday, April 11, 2014

PEREGRINE FALCON


Another painting completed some time ago but recently scanned onto disc so I'm able to post it here. This young peregrine has left the nest and is now finding its way on its own. I wanted to pose the bird against a cliff face as to give some indication as to the place it was born. A few stray grasses give some extra spatial definition to the scene and I used diagonal cracks in the rock for a little movement. Otherwise a simple composition but one that was carefully thought out.



Here is a close-up of the bird - I really enjoyed painting this one. Oil on canvas, size about 30" x 40". Sold.

3 comments:

john said...

What a superb job you did on the feathering of this juv. Peregrine. The style of this painting reminds me very much of the work of another artist that I admire, Peter Brown from Perth, Australia. He only paints once in a blue moon. That is too bad in my opinion.
I'm glad that you are able to work more consistently.

John Holmes said...

Your bird renditions are always favorites with me ! Interesting to read the thought process leading to how the painting is composed as it is.

Jeremy Pearse said...

As always, thanks so much for the comments. I admire Peter's work too. I'm always checking his blog for updates.